Please note: This webpage may be outdated. The PDF version of my C.V. is more reliable.
- Blumenstock, JE (2016). Fighting Poverty with Data, Science, 353(6301), 753-754
- Blumenstock, JE, Eagle, N, Fafchamps, M (2016). Airtime Transfers and Mobile Communications: Evidence in the Aftermath of Natural Disasters, Journal of Development Economics, 120: 157-181
- Steele, Sundsoy, Pezzulo, Alegana, Blumenstock, JE, Bjelland, Engo-Monsen, de Montjoye, Iqbal, Hadiuzzaman, Wetter, Tatem, and Bengtsson, L. (2017). Mapping poverty using mobile phone and satellite data, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 14:20160690 [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE, Cadamuro, G, On, R (2015). Predicting Poverty and Wealth from Mobile Phone Metadata, Science, 350(6264), 1073-1076
- Aker, J and Blumenstock, JE (2014). The Economic Impacts of New Technologies in Africa, The Oxford Handbook of Africa and Economics, 354-371 [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE, and N Eagle (2012). Divided We Call: Disparities in Access and Use of Mobile Phones in Rwanda, Information Technology and International Development, 8(2), 1-16 [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE (2012). Inferring Patterns of Internal Migration from Mobile Phone Call Records, Information Technology for Development, 18(2), 107-125 [pdf]
- Gordon, GJ, RV Jensen, LL Hsiao, SR Gullans, JE Blumenstock, WG Richards, MT Jaklitsch, DJ Sugarbaker, and R Bueno (2003). Using Gene Expression Ratios to Predict Outcome Among Patients With Mesothelioma, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 95(8), 598-605 [pdf]
- Gordon, GJ, RV Jensen, LL Hsiao, SR Gullans, JE Blumenstock, S Ramaswamy, WG Richards, DJ Sugarbaker, and R Bueno (2002). Translation of Microarray Data Into Clinically Relevant Cancer Diagnostic Tests Using Gene Expression Ratios in Lung Cancer and Mesothelioma, Cancer Research, 62(17), 4963-4967 [pdf]
- Fryer, RM, J Randall, T Yoshida, LL Hsiao, JE Blumenstock, KE Jensen, T Dimofte, RV Jensen, and SR Gullans (2002). Global Analysis of Gene Expression: Methods, Interpretation, and Pitfalls, Experimental Nephrology, 10(2), 64-74 [pdf]
- Hsiao, LL, RV Jensen, T Yoshida, KE Clark, JE Blumenstock, and SR Gullans (2002). Correcting for Signal Errors in the Analysis of Microarray Data, Biotechniques, 32 (2), 330-337 [pdf]
- Khan, MR, Blumenstock, JE (2016). Predictors without Borders: Behavioral Modeling of Product Adoption in Three Developing Countries, Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD '16) [pdf]
- Aulck, L, Blumenstock, JE, West, J (2016). Predicting Student Dropout in Higher Education, Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML '16), Workshop on Machine Learning in Social Good Applications
- Blumenstock, JE, Keleher, N, Reisinger, J (2016). The Premise of Local Information: Building Reliable Economic Indicators from a Decentralized Network of Contributor, Proceedings of the 8th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD 2016), Notes Track [pdf]
- Khan, M, Reed, P, and Blumenstock, JE (2016). Observing gender dynamics and disparities with mobile phone metadata, Proceedings of the 8th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD 2016), Notes Track [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE, Keleher, N (2015). The Price is Right? Statistical evaluation of a crowd-sourced market information system in Liberia, ACM Computing for Development (DEV 2015) [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE, Callen, MC, Ghani, T, Koepke, L (2015). Promises and Pitfalls of Mobile Money in Afghanistan: Evidence from a Randomized Control Trial, Proceedings of the 7th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD 2015) [pdf]
- Khan, M, Manoj, J, Singh, A, and Blumenstock, JE (2015). Behavioral Modeling for Churn Prediction: Early Indicators and Accurate Predictors of Customer Defection and Loyalty, 2015 IEEE International Congress on Big Data (Big Data `15)
- Blumenstock, JE (2014). Calling for Better Measurement: Estimating an Individual's Wealth and Well-Being, ACM KDD (Data Mining for Social Good) [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE, Chokkalingam, R, Gaikwad, V and S Kondepudi (2014). Probabilistic Inference of Unknown Locations: Exploiting Collective Behavior when Individual Data is Scarce, ACM Computing for Development (DEV 2014) [pdf]
- Young, WM, Blumenstock, JE, Fox, EB, and TM McCormick (2014). Detecting and classifying anomalous behavior in spatiotemporal network data, ACM KDD (Learning About Emergencies with Social Information) [pdf]
- Kelley, I, and Blumentock, JE (2014). Computational Challenges in the Analysis of Large, Sparse, Spatiotemporal Data, The 6th ACM International Workshop on Data Intensive Distributed Computing (DIDC `14)
- Blumenstock, JE and Fratamico L (2013). Social and Spatial Ethnic Segregation: A Framework for Analyzing Segregation With Large-Scale Spatial Network Data, The 4th Annual ACM Symposium on Computing for Development (DEV '13) [pdf]
- Heimerl, K, Ali, K, Blumenstock, JE, Gawalt, B, and E Brewer (2013). Expanding Rural Cellular Networks with Virtual Coverage, 10th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation [pdf]
- Mehrohtra, A, V Mohan, A Nguyen, and JE Blumenstock (2012). Differences in phone use between men and women: Quantitative evidence from Rwanda, Proceedings of the 5th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD 2012), 297-306 [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE (2011). Using Mobile Phone Data to Measure the Ties Between Nations, Proceedings of the 2011 iConference, 195-202 [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE, and N Eagle (2010). Mobile Divides: Gender, Socioeconomic Status, and Mobile Phone Use in Rwanda, Proceedings of the 4th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD 2010), 6 [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE, Y Shen and N Eagle (2010). A Method for Estimating the Relationship Between Phone Use and Wealth, ICTD 2010 (Workshop on Quantitative Meets Qualitative Methods) [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE, D Gillick, and N Eagle (2010). Who's Calling? Demographics of Mobile Phone Use in Rwanda, AAAI Spring Symposium [pdf]
- Blumenstock, JE (2008). Size Matters: Word Count as a Measure of Quality on Wikipedia, Proceedings of the 17th ACM International Conference on the World Wide Web (WWW), ACM Press, 2008, 1095-1096 [pdf]
- Gemmell, J, R Lueder, JE Blumenstock, E Solomon, and G Bell (2003). Telephone, Television and Radio in the Home of the Future, Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications, 2003, 263-268 [pdf]
- "Mobile-izing Savings with Automatic Contributions: Experimental Evidence on Dynamic Inconsistency and the Default Effect in Afghanistan." Working paper [pdf].
- "Social Networks and Internal Migration." Working paper.
- "Violence and Financial Decisions: Experimental Evidence from Mobile Money in Afghanistan." Working Paper.
- "A Society of Silent Separation: The Impact of Migration on Ethnic Segregation in Estonia." Working Paper.